I'm pleased to announce that I will be DJing at the event Dislocating Asia on Thursday 2nd October at the Forge in Camden. This is part of the Camden Migration Festival which explores the migration of birds and people through the arts, celebrating cultural expansion.
The event has been organised by senior lecturer in Sociology at the University of Winchester; Diana Yeh.
- Diana will be presenting her new book The Happy Hsiungs: Performing China and the Struggle for Modernity. The book recovers the histories of two married Chinese writers who lived and worked in Britain from the 1930s onwards: Shih-I Hsiung and his wife Dymia Hsiung.
- Actors Daniel York and Jennifer Lim will read excerpts from Lady Precious Stream, the play that shot Shih-I Hsiung to worldwide fame.
- Orwell Prize shortlisted blogger Anna Chen reads from her ‘brilliant and dangerous’ poetry collection, Reaching for my Gnu (Aaaargh! Press), and tries out some new poems.
Live music from:
- Semi-acoustic Hapa trio Wondermare
- British Chinese musician/composer Liz Chi Yen Liew (her latest album is Snapshots), with Dennis Lee on the xiao (flute) and guzheng (zither).
- My DJ set of Chinese golden oldies and fresh new sounds from Shanghai and Beijing.
Tickets are available now from:
Hope to see you at this fantastic event!